A seven-year-old boy who was run over by a car in Deputy President William Ruto’s convoy died at Busia County Referral Hospital on Friday evening.
Felix Sidney Mamba was hit by a vehicle carrying the DP’s press crew during his tour of of that county earlier on Friday.
Via Twitter after learning about the accident, Dr Ruto said Sidney was immediately taken to hospital and his office given updates on his state.
He had said he would ensure the boy received proper care.
On Saturday morning, the DP sent a condolence message to the family, saying they had lost a “young and bubbly” boy.
Dr Ruto wrote, “Followed closely the situation after I was informed of the unfortunate incident and, now, I deeply condole with the family of Mzee Mambala, his peers and friends for the grave loss of a loved one.
He added that he had spoken to Mzee Mambala and assured the family of support.
The DP went to Busia on a development tour that saw him launch the Lower Nzoia Irrigation Project at the Bunyala scheme.
On his way from Butula with his team, he addressed pupils and parents of St Benedict’s Budalang’i and Kingandole Secondary schools.