CS Matiang’i asks HELB to Spend Ksh 900 Million in TVET Institutions, Quashes University Superiority

uNIVERSITIES, Governors TVET Degree PROGRAMMES CUE Matiang'i Education

Education cabinet secretary Dr Fred Matiang’i has elicited a debate as to whether Technical training institutions are inferior to the universities. Speaking during the launch of the wings to fly program sponsored by Equity Bank, the CS quashed the belief that universities are superior and produce more quality individuals than TVET institutions.

During the launch Matiang’i also called upon Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) to ensure that they use all the Ksh. 900 Million set aside for students in TVET institutions. The CS said that he had talked to HELB and directed them to ensure that every student benefits from the said fund.

“I have talked to my colleagues from HELB and we have agreed that this year all the 900 Million allocated to TVET must be utilized fully”, Matiang’i said.

The CS also noted that more than 80% of students joining campus were taking the Arts courses making it impossible for Kenya to realize its vision 2030. He said that a more liberal way involving HELB has already been put forward to ensure that the country promotes Science, Technology and Mathematics.


“It is shocking that out of all the university students, 80% are admitted in arts courses leaving science and math with less than 20%. This is setting a very dangerous path for the country and it might make our work even harder to realise vision 2030”, Matiang’i noted.


The CS has been categorical that his ministry will ensure that all the education reforms are implemented and quality restored back to the higher learning institutions. A month ago he directed the CUE and KUCCPS to ensure that proper channels are followed in admission of students in universities. He directed the CUE to conduct audit in all universities in the countries, an activity which David Some has said is already taking place.

The CS also said that TVET institutions will absorb all other students who got below C+ in 2016 KCSE.

1148 Total Views 1 Views Today



Comrade, Share your Thoughts Here