Moi University acting Vice-Chancellor Laban Ayiro has dismissed reports circulating on social media that the university’s has been closed indefinitely following the lecturers’ strike.
Prof Ayiro was reacting to a purported internal memo that indicates the university had been closed and students asked to vacate all the campuses by February 15, 2017.
“This is to inform all the students and staff that with effect from 14th February 2017, all campuses of Moi University shall be indefinitely closed due to the ongoing lecturer’s strike,” read part of the memo on social media.
The memo, carrying the university’s letterhead, went on to say: “This comes as a result of senatorial deliberations made on 13th February 2017. All students are therefore expected to vacate the university by 15th February 2017.”
In the memo, the students were told to expect any further communication through the university website.
But in a quick rejoinder, Prof Ayiro said the social media notification is fake, stressing that the university is still in session.
“That notification is fake and to say the least wicked. Our students have contained themselves in a dignified manner and I commend them unreservedly,” said the VC.
The memo, dated February 14 and sent to all the students, was purportedly signed by Deputy Vice-Chancellor I.N. Kimengi and copied to the vice-chanchellor, all deans, the director of schools and all heads of departments.