The Ericsson Innovation Awards 2016 is an open competition for students all around the world. This year the competition is all about the future of cities. Today, more people live in cities than in rural areas, and by 2050, about 70 percent of the world’s population is expected to reside in urban areas. Ensuring that our cities are creative, connected and sustainable is a major challenge but also an opportunity to improve the lives of billions of people along with the health and future of the planet itself. That is why we are looking for students that have the next big idea to create a better future city life.
The cash prizes are just one aspect of winning the Ericsson Innovation Awards this year: there are important career-enhancing incentives on offer too.
- First prize: EUR 25,000
- Second prize: EUR 15,000
- Third prize: EUR 1,000
- Fourth prize: EUR 1,000
- All finalists and semi-finalists will be given the opportunity to be interviewed for a possible internship or position at Ericsson
Step 1 – Register a team and submit your idea (Until November 30th 2015)
Ericsson Innovation Awards is open for all students. All you need is an idea to improve the future of city life. First of all register your team and submit your idea on the submission page. Your team need to consist of two-four people, and all members should currently be students.
Step 2 – Verify a problem and find a solution (Until November 30th 2015)
To find, define and describe an important problem to the future of city life is almost as important as finding a good solution. You can always continue developing your solution. Regarding your solution or concept it is important that we (1) understand how it is supposed to work and (2) that we can see it can be developed. Please upload the following items to the registration site to secure your place in the competition:
Problem and solution
- Describe the problem you see (Maximum 300 characters)
- Present your solution (innovation) to the problem (Maximum 500 characters)
Your innovation in detail
- Business plan of your innovation (Maximum 450 words in Word or PDF doc)
- Product / service description (Maximum 450 in Words word or PDF doc)
Step 3 – The semi-finals (December 19th 2015 to February 18th 2016)
During the co-development process the ten semi-finalists will continue to develop their ideas. They will get expert feedback from Ericsson employees. Together they develop the concept and create a Minimum Viable Product.
Step 4 – The finals
All 4 finalist teams will be flown in to Ericsson headquarters in Stockholm for HR interviews and final award ceremony event. The event will be broadcast for all participants to see.
Dates to Remember
- September 18- November 30: Phase 1 – Registration and submission. Register your team
- November 30-December 17: Open voting and Ericsson jury evaluation
- December 18: Semi-finalists announcement. 10 teams announced that make it into semi-finals
- December 19-February 11: Phase 2 – Development of a Minimum Viable Product, etc. Working with Ericsson experts to develop your idea.
- February 19: Finalist announcement. 4 teams announced that have made it into the grand final
- Date TBD: Award ceremony / final event in Stockholm, Sweden