Chuka University First Year Student Killed Inside a Local Pub


Tension was high in Chuka Town, Tharaka-Nithi County, after reports emerged that some Chuka University students were planning to hold demonstrations over the killing of a colleague in a bar fight on Friday night.

Anti-riot police were on Monday morning seen manning all roads leading to the town from the university.

Some businesses in Chuka Town and at Ndagani market remained closed for fear of looting.

However, Tharaka-Nithi County acting police boss Beatrice Kiraguri assured the town’s residents of their security.

“We are alert and ready to thwart any demonstration in town and within the university,” said Ms Kiraguri.


She also called on the students to remain calm and give police ample time to complete their investigations.

Chuka University student leader Harrison Maina told the Nation by phone that there was a small group of students planning to avenge the killing of their peer.

“As student leaders, we are not in support of the demonstrations because police assured us that they will have completed the investigations within three days,” said Mr Maina.

Some students who spoke to the Nation said there was a plot to storm Kimwa bar, where the fight that led to the death of the student started.

The deceased, Duncan Bundi, 19, a first-year student, was allegedly beaten and killed by a group of people outside a bar in Chuka Town.

The Police are now holding a public servant said to be at the center of the killing.

Addressing journalists in her office in Chuka Town, acting County Police Commander Beatrice Kiraguri said the suspect reportedly fought the deceased in a bar and later, in the company of other suspects, killed him.

“Our investigations officers are handling the matter but we can confirm that the suspect fought the student before his death,” said Ms Kiraguri.

She said the suspect is a public servant who works as an estate manager in Kiambu County.

“We have been informed that the suspect travels from Kiambu to Chuka every weekend to visit his family and frequents Kimwa bar where the matter started,” she said.


The officer investigating the case Mr Mohammed Aden said they have sought more time from the court for investigations before the prosecute the suspect.

“This case needs enough time for investigations but in the five days that we have been given by the court we will be through,” said Mr Aden.

Speaking to Nation by phone, Chuka University Vice-Chancellor Erastus Njoka asked the students to be calm as the law takes its course.

“We all feel the pain of losing one of us but I urge all the students to remain calm to enable quick prosecution of the suspect,” said Prof Njoka.

It is alleged that the deceased and the accused were arguing over a woman before the fight ensued.



Comrade, Share your Thoughts Here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.