Medical services at Makindu Sub-County Hospital, Makueni county, were temporarily halted on Saturday, February 22, after five critically ill Chinese nationals were rushed to the facility.
According to Daily Nation, a news platform, the patients arrived at the hospital in the company of police and other Chinese nationals wearing facemasks.
Medical officers at the hospital scampered for their safety on suspicion that the five, who are employees of the Sinohydro Corporation, could be suffering from the dreaded coronavirus, the media platform reported on Saturday, last week.
Sinohydro Corporation is a Chinese company charged with the construction of Kibwezi-Kitui Road.
Patrick Musyoki, the Makueni Cheif Officer of Health dismissed claims that the hospital was dealing with a case of coronavirus.
“There are no cases of coronavirus admitted to Makindu hospital as confirmed by the hospital management,” Musyoki said.
The patient’s blood was, however, drawn and taken to Nairobi based National Influenza Laboratory for testing.
The incident comes hardly one week after a Sinohydro Corporation employee who arrived in the country from China through Jomo Kenyatta International Airport from China was quarantined at the company’s Makueni base.
“He arrived in Kenya via JKIA through the right procedure. When he arrived here where he was isolated which is according to laid down procedure. We, however, ask all staff to wear protective masks and also exercise caution while interacting,” said Project Manager Zeng Young.
This comes even as researchers continue looking for a cure to the virus that has so far claimed 2,442 lives and infected over 76,936.
Citizens have continued to urge the government to close its borders for arrivals from China as Russia has done to prevent spread of the killer virus to Kenya.
Israel has also barred tourists from South Korea from setting foot in Jerusalem.
This story has also been published in TUKO.co.ke