@iBizAfrica (a business incubator carries out the Entrepreneurship and Incubation theme of @iLabAfrica (aresearch center involved in interdisciplinary research, students engagement, collaboration with government, industry and other funding agencies), it seeks to provide a nurturing environment that builds on the potential of the youth to develop ICT solutions and businesses that work for the common good in society) in association with Strathmore Business School hosted the first ever Global Student Entrepreneur Awards (GSEA) finals for East Africa on 11th March 2015.
This is a global competition for student entrepreneurs who actively run a for-profit business, while attending a college or university. Wangechi Mwangi of Valuraha group won this year’s competition and is set to attend the 2015 global finals at Washington DC, USA. The event was also graced by the incoming Global EO chair Gilberto Crombe.
Six student startup founders from various universities in Kenya went head to head by pitching to EO GSEA and @iBizAfrica panel of judges. The startup founders competing included:
- Wangechi Mwangi-Valuraha Group – A company that provides financial knowledge and competence in trading in the NSE using a virtual trading platform to students(High School & University).
- David Mabiria- Magazine Reel – The Best Kenyan Campus News Site – www.magazinereel.com
- Masidza Galavu- Tatu Creatives – A Creative Digital Agency that offer Website & Digital Design, Brand Development and Print & Graphic Design Services to individual clients and corporates
- John Njoroge- Savana Online Mart Limited– An Online Shopping Mall
- Njuru Mwangi- Sufuria.com – Africa’s #1 online kitchen
- Ian Ndwiga- Indomitable innovators – A business that makes products from waste plastics and paper bags and waste tires, products like pouches, i-pad casing, shoes among others
The winner, Wangechi Mwangi will have a great chance of representing East Africa for the global finals from 15th to 17 April 2015. She will compete with 30 other student entrepreneurs from across the globe where the top prize will be USD 20,000 in addition to business services. The second place winner will receive US $10,000 and the third place winner US $5,000. Additional awards to be given at the Global Finals will be for Social Impact, Innovation, and Lessons from the Edge.
EO and @iBizAfrica will work together to promote Entrepreneurship in Africa.