Moi University Council invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced persons with excellent credentials to provide strategic and visionary leadership to the institution in the position of Vice Chancellor. The successful applicant is expected to bring about transformational change in the University by taking the lead in spurring robust infrastructural development, ensuring financial stability and growth, expansion of innovative and relevant academic and research programmes, an enhanced Student population, and result oriented staff management.
For appointment to the position of the Vice Chancellor, a person shall:
- Be a full Professor and holder of an earned doctorate degree or equivalent qualification from a university recognized in Kenya;
- Have thorough knowledge in the structural, legislative and regulatory framework for administering university education in Kenya;
- Have at least fourteen years hands-on experience at a senior level in managing a large and complex university or equivalent institution with demonstrable leadership, and management capacity including knowledge of public financial management and strategic people management;
- Be an accomplished scholar with proven track record and demonstrated evidence in formulating and managing academic programs and supervising and mentoring Masters and PhD students;
- Have a proven track record of research and as evidenced by publications in peer reviewed journals, monographs and books;
- Have demonstrable experience in networking, resource mobilization and project management;
- Have a demonstrable experience in transformative and strategic leadership; and
- Meet the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution on leadership and integrity.
The following core competencies and skills will be required for the position of the Vice Chancellor:-
- Ability to portray and uphold positive national image and work in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity to and respect for diversity;
- Being a visionary and result oriented leader;
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and effective communication skills as well as logical and sound decision making ability;
- Capacity to work under pressure to meet strict deadlines;
- Possess firm, fair and transparent management style; and
- Be a creative and innovative leader
Duties and Responsibilities:-
As per the Charter and Statutes of Moi University, the Vice Chancellor:
- Shall be the academic and administrative Head of the University and as such shall be responsible to the Council for maintaining and promoting the academic image as well as maintaining and promoting the efficiency and good order of the University;
- Shall be a member of all committees appointed by Council or Senate unless otherwise expressly provided;
- Shall be the Secretary to the Council and an ex-official member of the Council.
- Shall be the accounting officer of the university;
- Shall be responsible for policy matters, planning, coordination, public relations, fund raising, and general development of the university;
- Shall be:
- a) Chairman of Senate.
- b) Chairman of Lecturer and Senior Lecturer Appointments’ Committee.
- c) Chairman of the University Management Board.
- d) Chairman of other Committees as specified by the University Statutes.
- Shall have such powers and duties as may be conferred by the Council in accordance with the University Charter and Statutes.
- May assign or delegate any of his/her duties to a committee or a member of the University staff and may withdraw any such assignment or delegation at any time.
Tenure of Office:
As per the Universities Act 2012, Moi University Charter and Statutes the Vice-Chancellor shall hold office for duration of five (5) years with the possibility of one time renewal for a further term of five years subject to a positive appraisal by the Council.
How to apply:-
- Each application shall be accompanied by a detailed curriculum vitae, and certified copies of relevant academic and professional certificates, national identity card or passport, testimonials, and any other relevant supporting documents.
- Applicants must also submit valid clearances from the following:
- Kenya Revenue Authority;
- Higher Education Loans Board;
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission; and
- Criminal Investigation Department (Certificate of Good Conduct).
- Registered Credit Reference Bureau
3. Applications through registered mail should be addressed to the Chairman, Moi University Council, Main Campus, Kesses, P.O. Box 3900-30100, ELDORET, KENYA.
- Recommendations from at least three (3) referees should be sent separately to the address above on or before 8th April 2016at 5:00pm.
All applications shall clearly be marked “Application for the Position of Vice-Chancellor, MU” and submitted in ten (10) hard copies.
- Applications must be submitted on or before 8th April 2016at 5:00pm
Note: Moi University is an equal opportunity employer. Women, marginalized groups and persons living with disability are encouraged to apply. Additional information about the university is available at the university website – www.mu.ac.ke