The Jubilee Party has announced it will not field a candidate in the Msambweni by-election.
The seat was left vacant following the death of ODM MP Suleiman Dori.
Jubilee Party said with its recent cooperation with ODM, it saw it fit not to field a candidate.
“With the unprecedented corporation between Jubilee and ODM in parliament in the recent past on matters of national importance and given that this was an ODM seat, the decision has been made that Jubilee will not field a candidate in the interest of the bigger picture”, the statement from Secretary General Raphael Tuju reads in part.
It also said that the country faces serious issues currently following CJ David Maraga’s call for the dissolution of Parliament for failing to legislate laws to implement the gender rule.
“The country has very serious constitutional matters to deal with that will require sobriety and reaching across the political divides in order to navigate our beloved country across some of these challenges,” Tuju said.
He further added, “This announcement has been made in good time so that any aspirant who has interest in a Jubilee ticket still has other pathways to running for the seat.”
The announcement has not been received well by a section of Jubilee leaders allied to the Deputy President William Ruto. The team had already identified a candidate who had ditched ODM for the Tanga Tanga wing of Jubilee Party.
Reports indicate that DP William Ruto has gone to the Jubilee Headquarters to try and voice his concerns over the issue. Some have termed the move as cowardly and a way of killing democracy in the country.
This is the second time that Jubilee Party is seen to be favouring an ODM candidate in a by-election. The Kibra by-election which saw Benard Okoth beat McDonald Mariga to clinch the seat presented a clear of divisions with the President’s party.
Residents will vote on December 15 after the initial by-election date was postponed due to the unprecedented Covid-19 pandemic.