Ever wondered how and what Egerton Logo came to be and the meaning behind its symbols?
The Old Logo
The old logo of Egerton University, then called Egerton Agricultural college had a meaning in reflection to the person who donated the land where Egerton University stands. The man is Lord Maurice Egerton of Tatton, born 4th August 1874 and died 30th January 1958.
When Egerton Agricultural college was started in 1939, with only 3 students, the Earl of Albermarle, as a senior male relative to the 4th Baron of Egerton, gave the college the right to use the Arms.
These arms trace back from the first Baron, William Tatton who was born in 1806 and died in 1883. The old logo has a helmet around the face and at the back of the head, a hairywire gauze on the eyes and also heavy protective metal around the neck. The Lion, which is a sign of power, stands on the helmet and holds a mighty arrow, which carries the words Sic Donec. The motto “Sic Donec” is a Latin word meaning “We Serve while Here in Life” or “We Serve while we Live“.
Below the neck is a shield with a lion at the middle surrounded by three spearheads at the three corners.
The New Logo
When Egerton College was upgraded to Egerton University College in 1987, the university management decided to change the old logo to the current.
The shield, which is upright, has Mt.Kenya at the bottom with a lion standing on Mt.Kenya and holding an arrow with the writing “Sic Donec“, a Latin word.
At the bottom of the shield, on either side, there are maize which symbolize agriculture and below is a book, which is a symbol of learning. When the logo is drawn in color, the book turns out to be a bible with red color on the edges.
With that in mind, now you know that Egerton University is based on a Biblical/Christian foundation.